The Duquesne University School of Nursing was established in 1937. From its beginning, it has been defined by its scholarship, innovation, and student centeredness. Our goal is to ensure that our students exemplify—in the best Duquesne tradition— the highest levels of competency, compassion and ethical behavior.
Forward thinking and strategic leadership yielded the following “firsts”:
- First BSN program in Pennsylvania, 1937
- First online PhD in Nursing program in the U.S., 1997
- First graduate online MSN in Forensic Nursing, 2002
- First BME/BSN dual degree program in the nation, 2014
- First online PhD in Nursing Ethics, 2017
The School continues to embrace the future with careful, strategic planning and action that builds on our reputation as a pioneer of nursing education and one of the nation’s foremost nursing schools. In this unique learning environment, evidence-based nursing, critical thinking and intellectual curiosity go hand-in-hand with ethical practice, community service and a commitment to social justice.
By 2026, the federal government predicts that employment for registered nurses will grow 15 percent and for nurse practitioners it will grow 31 percent. More nurses are needed - and they need to have advanced degrees. The School of Nursing is ready for this challenge; however, educating the nurse leaders of tomorrow requires additional and sustainable resources.
Please donate to the School of Nursing
This year, please consider a gift of $20.20 in honor of a future nursing graduates, although gifts of all sizes are greatly appreciated!
Areas in need of support include:
- School of Nursing (greatest needs)
- Alice C. Feehan Fund (provides emergency funding to School of Nursing students.)
- Learning & Simulation Center
- Nursing Alumni Association (provides funding to School of Nursing student organizations)
- Nursing Alumni Endowed Scholarship (provides funding for School of Nursing scholarships)
Don't forget to also spread the word!
An additional way to make a major impact on the Duquesne Day of Giving is to help us spread the word via social media, e-mail, text, word of mouth! Share this address www.duq.edu/dayofgiving with the hashtag #DUQDayofGiving and encourage your family and friends to make a donation. Go Dukes!